LEWKULELE in Lewes
LEWKULELE has been meeting weekly since 2013 when a few brave friends, with no previous experience of, or interest in, playing a musical instrument, were persuaded that they should take up the ukulele, and unwittingly started changing the cultural landscape of Lewes.
Where once evenings around this genteel Sussex town had resonated with the sound of orchestral, chamber and choral ensembles, there began to be heard the uncoordinated strumming of ukuleles – and much uncontrollable laughter.
But, amazingly, from those humble, stumbling beginnings has emerged LEWKULELE, a weekly session where up to 30 strummers meet to play, sing, laugh and drink - not necessarily in that order and certainly not simultaneously.
(NB of these, drinking is not compulsory (some of us find it helps) – but there’s a great bar….)
- LEWKULELE meets EVERY MONDAY evening at Lewes ConClub.
- LEWKULELE is open to ALL, regardless of ability or previous experience.
- LEWKULELE ensures that anyone can PARTICIPATE IMMEDIATELY.
- LEWKULELE will make you SMILE, even when you’re down in the dumps!
- LEWKULELE will give you the tools to annoy your family and friends (and it could even make THEM smile!).
- LEWKULELE will send you home HAPPY, even on a bad day!
- LEWKULELE is FREE, except for a weekly donation of £1 per strummer.
On SUNDAY AUGUST 29th we had our party in Grange Gardens. What a success! (see a couple of the pics below).Thank you all for turning out to share in the fun and fellowship. It was lovely to see old friends and to make new ones. I hope we'll retain those links and get together again, maybe even before another twelve months! There are too many people to thank for their individual contributions, and, if I try to, I'm bound to make some embarrassing omissions. I'll just say THANK YOU to all of our wonderful strummers and friends for being there and for supporting Lewkulele.
N.B. Keep an eye on our calendar page - we'll add some rehearsal and gig events as soon as we're allowed.